Monday, December 15, 2008

Hummingbirds all winter? Man I love Seattle




Growing up in Minnesota, I can honestly say for the first 36 years of my life, I never saw a hummingbird from fall to spring. I still find it hard to believe that here in Seattle we have a yard full of incredibly active Anna's hummingbirds all winter long. We have to pull in the hummingbird feeders every night so the syrup does not freeze, then put them out before dawn as the little Anna's start coming just after first light.

300mm Nikkor, f/4, 1/80, ISO250

This shot is the first of many shots to come from a new home bird-feeder-photo-blind setup I have been putting together. I emptied out the spare bedroom that had been abandoned to storage, hung fresh feeders outside the window, removed the screen, adapted a cloth cover with a hole to shoot threw, cut pipe insulating foam to line the metal window frame and sill so I can rest the lens barrel against it for stability, and there you go.

This is the first time out of hundreds of shots of these little hummers that I was able to capture the little patch under it's chin (called a gorget)lighting up red.

No comments: